Scott's Revere 85 8mm Projector



sold • private collection west hollywood, ca

6"x4" oil on raymar panel A buddy of mine loaned me this projector to paint. Little did we know that we had placed a dormant bomb in my studio just waiting to explode. Painting subject matter as intricate as this is quite the insanity-inducing challenge; the decisions it requires an artist to make can cause chronic hair loss (via extensive hair pulling) and trouble with the neighbors (they could hear me cussing from blocks away). Approaching something like this requires abstraction to survive (removing the object from what it is) and a willingness to let go of things.    All in all, I would NOT recommend the use of such detailed subject matter to anybody, even to my worst enemies. Having typed that—what did I do? I went and painted it again… but larger (please see easel shot below). The larger creature measures 30"x20" and was a different insanity-inducing beast all together; requiring very different decisions. Excluding the insanity part and neighborhood friction, I consider both paintings worthwhile experiences.    Sorry about the quality of the easel shot, but it does give you an idea of the texture and of my knife work and how it seemingly required gallons of paint.
 
Posted February 20, 2014

sold • private collection west hollywood, ca



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Sign Up!